Origin and Doctrine
The congregation began in 1837 as a German Reformed Church and was named Jerusalem Reformed Church. The original constitution and by-laws were written in both English and German and are dated August 4, 1841. Around the turn of the century the congregation affiliated itself with the Church of Christ denomination. This affiliation continued into the 1970's when the congregation severed denominational ties and became an independent fellowship.
Today the prelude to our constitution reads:
"We believe that we have been called of God to be a part of the Stanwood Community Church. We enter solemnly and joyfully into covenant with one another as one body in Christ to seek continually, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to come to a better understanding of the written Word of God. 'To walk worthily of our calling, with all lowliness and meekness, with long-suffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace' (Eph. 4:1-3)."
It is our deepest desire that life in the congregation we call home will be both preparation for and a foretaste of that Eternal Home for which we are created. Please feel welcome to join us on our journey of worship, discipleship, obedience, and service!